Where'd you like to go?
Enter
My Profile
Edit your profile
Close session
Write an opinion
Publish

Sugar Our Mrs. of the Pillar

3 reviews of Sugar Our Mrs. of the Pillar

The sugar factory of Our Lady of the...

La fábrica azucarera de Nuestra Señora d...

La fábrica azucarera de Nuestra Señora del Pilar fué construida en el año 1881, para la fabricación de azúcar y alcohol. Su primera molienda fue en 1883 momento en que el auge de la fabricación de azúcar en la España experimentaba grandes dificultades, ya que había luchas entre los agricultores y los fabricantes, a eso se le sumaba la competencia entre el azúcar peninsular y el colonial, las malas cosechas, y la falta de liquidez, que hicieron que la fábrica vivieran momentos muy difíciles a finales de los años 80. Los hermanos Domínguez y Ricardo Burgos vendieron sus acciones quedando como única propietaria la marquesa de Squilacce, quien introdujo mejoras en la maquinaria. En la última década del siglo las expectativas del sector azucarero mejoraron a raíz de la pérdida del mercado abastecedor antillano. A partir de 1903 la fábrica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar quedó integrada en la Sociedad General Azucarera de España. La Sociedad cerró las fábricas menos rentables y tendió a concentrar la fabricación en las más productivas. Así la fabrica de Nuestra señora del Pilar de Motril quedó cerrada durante unos años, pero seguiría funcionando tras la primera Guerra Mundial a partir de 1919 pero de forma esporádica. Su maquinaria fue modernizada en la década de 1920. La progresiva disminución de la caña cultivada en la Vega hizo innecesaria el mantenimiento de varias fábricas y en 1984 se realizó su última molienda y sus puertas quedaron cerradas y la fabrica se ha ido deteriorando progresivamente. Como dato curioso hay que reseñar que las instalaciones de la fabrica se utilizó como escenario del rodaje para la película "Cuba" en 1979 de Sean Connery.
The sugar factory of Our Lady of the Pillar was built in 1881 for the manufacture of sugar and alcohol. His first mill was in 1883 when the rise of the sugar manufacturing Spain was experiencing great difficulties, as there were struggles between farmers and manufacturers, it added that competition between the peninsular and colonial sugar, the poor harvests and lack of liquidity, the factory that made live difficult times in the late 80s. The Burgos and Ricardo Dominguez brothers sold their shares remaining as sole owner Squilacce the Marquise, who introduced improvements in machinery. In the last decade of the sugar industry expectations following improved market loss Antillean provider. From 1903 the factory of Our Lady of Pilar was integrated into the General Society Sugar Spain. The Company closed less profitable factories and manufacture tended to concentrate in the most productive. So the manufactures of Our Lady of Pilar de Motril was closed for a few years but still work after the First World War from 1919 but sporadically. Its machinery was modernized in the 1920s. The progressive decrease in cane grown in the Vega made unnecessary the maintenance of several factories and in 1984 made his last grinding and its doors were closed and the factory has been deteriorating gradually. A curious fact should be noted that the factory premises was used as a movie set for the film "Cuba" in 1979 by Sean Connery.
+3
See original

In process of finishing the museum is...

En proceso de terminar el museo

Excellent
Se emplea para cursos, exposiciones y eventos varios.
In process of finishing the museum is used for courses, exhibitions and various events
See original

What remains of the old factory

Lo que queda de la antigua fábrica.

Excellent
Lo que queda de la antigua fábrica.
What remains of the old factory
See original
Have you been here?
Add your opinion and photos and help other travelers discover
Other travelers also visited...
865,4 m away in Motril
(2)
1,4 km away in Motril
Motril Holy Week
(4)
7,6 km away in Motril
Sacratif Lighthouses
(11)
5,1 km away in Salobreña
La Bóveda
(3)
4,8 km away in Salobreña
Old Town

Information about Sugar Our Mrs. of the Pillar